Sunday, June 17, 2007

Motivation

So now that you've gotten started running, how do you stay motivated?? Once those sore muscles set in it's awfully tempting to roll up into a ball on the couch. Here is a little trick that has really helped me stay on track with my running.

iPod Motivation
-Buy a shuffle, make a running mix, and use it on every run. It is actually really helpful. The only time I run without my shuffle is if I'm really under stress and running to blow off steam. Then I like to "talk myself down" while I'm running.
-ONLY listen to said shuffle/running mix when running.
-Set an achievable exercise goal for the week.
-Once you have met your goal for the week, reward yourself with the purchase of a new iTune for your running mix.
-This reward isn't counterproductive like a food reward and it won't break the bank since iTunes are affordable at 99cents a pop.

2 comments:

Shaunna :) said...

YES!! I did that same thing exactly!! I used to run 10 miles a day in HS - back then though we didnt have iPods, just CD Walkman. So I had a mix CD of all my faves... It had like "The Cup of Life" by Ricky Martin and "Everybody" by Backstreet Boys on it... LOL... along w/ some others... And I only listened to it when I ran! So true, if it weren't for that (and my black lab pulling me most of the way, LOL) I probably would have curled up in a ball on the couch after Day 2. :D

Amanda said...

Okay...I just need to get back to the gym! A shuffle huh? Is that the little one that is like a square clip or the kind of rectangle one? Okay...gotta run! You have inspired me...going back to the gym today:)